logo header

August 22, 2014, 12:51:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat(1)  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Legal to shoot in your backyard?  (Read 2502 times)
Paradise
Donor

« on: September 23, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »

Alright so.. This has been going on before I even moved to Alexandria, from Metairie.
I know it's illegal in Metairie, But I've talked to a bunch of people here and they've said it is not illegal in Alexandria.

Here's the problem, Living with family right now and keep catching flak about it being illegal, this and that.

Does anyone know a law or something stating it is so I can get them off my back about my love for a hobby and a sport.

I sent an email to the Alexandria PD, so maybe they'll get back on me on this subject so I can just shove it in their face and back off.

Idk this is just bugging me, figured best place to find out would be here.
So yeah.. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:44:34 PM by Paradise » Logged

KWA H&K USP Compact
Socom Gear Double Star 1911
Stark Arms Glock 19
G&G CM18 Mod-1
TM MP7

Saber
Donor

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:09:54 PM »

First I hear about it being illegal to shoot airsoft guns in any backyard in Louisiana.

It must have been a local ordinance in Metairie.

Paradise
Donor

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »

Yeah I know man.
It doesnt make any sense to me.

Family might be thinking real steel, which I can understand.
But not a little 6mm BB from a replica 'toy'.  Roll Eyes

KWA H&K USP Compact
Stark Arms Glock 19
G&G CM18 Mod-1
TM MP7

Pirate Tiger

The Tiger Everyone Loves to Hate.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 08:27:31 PM »

You can't fire an airsoft gun in your backyard in Metairie?

Paradise
Donor

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:33:45 PM »

You can't fire an airsoft gun in your backyard in Metairie?

From what I've heard.
*Shrug*

KWA H&K USP Compact
Stark Arms Glock 19
G&G CM18 Mod-1
TM MP7

Saber
Donor

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 08:34:27 PM »

Yeah, just double check with Alex PD and the S.O. to make sure there isn't a local ordinance. Soft air doesn't fall into the same category as real steel in Louisiana so you should be able to.

I'd just let your neighbors know if you think they may call 911 on you, just as a courtsey so they will know if they happen to peak over the fence or whatever.

Paradise
Donor

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »

Yeah, just double check with Alex PD and the S.O. to make sure there isn't a local ordinance. Soft air doesn't fall into the same category as real steel in Louisiana so you should be able to.

I'd just let your neighbors know if you think they may call 911 on you, just as a courtsey so they will know if they happen to peak over the fence or whatever.

Sent an email to the Alexandria PD's site last night so waiting on that.

Backyards a huge and neighbor to the left is never there and neighbor to the right.. It took a tree to fall on our property to meet them. Lol.

-Edit-
Let me rephrase..
My mom's boyfriend, the last time I went out back with my TM Glock17 to check it.. (Bucking problems I think, it's missing the outter barrel and BB's just roll out when I shoot it. Lol)
He just mentioned how it was 'illegal' to do it.

I don't know..
I really don't care, None of my neighbor's seem to care.
Been outside multiple times shooting both my Glock 17 and my KWA Mk.23 (Loud, Heavy little thing. Lol)
And no ones done anything.

I really think he thinks ALL -firearms- are illegal to do so, not Airsoft/Soft Air.
Which yeah, in a city I understand.

I just wish I could find some proof so I can show them its not illegal to do this.
I mean. I"m not harming anyone, I'm wearing eye protection.
I never aim at something I don't intend to shoot.

Just really annoying since I'm trying to zero in my GBB's and whatever my AEG will be when I get the money (Yeah I know like 5th AEG in the past year and a half.) so I can actually hit someone. Tongue

But yeah this really is stupid.
Starting to hate living with family. Angry

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:50:29 PM by Paradise » Logged

KWA H&K USP Compact
Stark Arms Glock 19
G&G CM18 Mod-1
TM MP7

Bruteus
KAG

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »

I doubt it's the case, but without having any other theories, I'm going to put this out there. Perhaps in the event of Airsoft guns, 'Littering' is the issue at hand, in which case switching to Bio Degradable's is a completely valid option, should that be the case at hand. Your 'firearm' doesn't likely fire into other people's property (And if it does, not with enough force to harm anything) so the whole firearm legality shouldn't be the issue (In which case your bullet risks firing beyond your intended target and out of your own property, thereby necessitating the need to make it illegal depending on Zoning etc)

Overall, the PD should be able to clear it up, I just hope they don't nix it in your email because it 'sounds dangerous', or they fail to understand your intent. If they fail to cite a specific law, I would reply and ask them to - just remember to be polite and respectful about it, as it sounds that you have been so far.
Paradise
Donor

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 11:42:08 PM »

I doubt it's the case, but without having any other theories, I'm going to put this out there. Perhaps in the event of Airsoft guns, 'Littering' is the issue at hand, in which case switching to Bio Degradable's is a completely valid option, should that be the case at hand. Your 'firearm' doesn't likely fire into other people's property (And if it does, not with enough force to harm anything) so the whole firearm legality shouldn't be the issue (In which case your bullet risks firing beyond your intended target and out of your own property, thereby necessitating the need to make it illegal depending on Zoning etc)

Overall, the PD should be able to clear it up, I just hope they don't nix it in your email because it 'sounds dangerous', or they fail to understand your intent. If they fail to cite a specific law, I would reply and ask them to - just remember to be polite and respectful about it, as it sounds that you have been so far.

Thanks Bruteus.
Yeah thats what was crossing my mind.
But yeah.. It is going straight into a spot surrounded by a fence, plywood and such.
Neighbors haven't said a thing so I really don't think they care.
(Even though all the fence's are 5 feet and chainlink.)

I can't see this being illegal, So I'll just do what I have to do.
If I have to kill an hour at a game sighting it in.....
Oh well.
Rather that then having family a 22 year old that he doesn't know what he is saying. (Really not that bad, just stressed out with this).

But again, thank you guys.

I'll be ordering a new AEG & parts for my TM Glock 17 soon as I have the money. Wink
Planning to start playing again and can't wait. Cheesy

KWA H&K USP Compact
Stark Arms Glock 19
G&G CM18 Mod-1
TM MP7

zombiehunter1
RAID

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »

I live in Pineville/Alexandria area. There is no rules stating that you can not shoot your airsoft gun in your back yard as long as you are not next to the road where drivers can see you and mistake it for a real firearm. The APD or the State troopers won't say nothing to you as long as no one call the police on you, which from what you say that should not be a problem. When I first started playing airsoft a long time ago we played in a friends back yard in Alex all the time and not a word was said. If the police does get called make sure that you are safe with the guns and let the cops know they are airsoft guns and nothing will be said about it. Most cops know what airsoft guns are now so they won't give you as much trouble as they use to. If you keep on having problems let me know and I will help you out.  Like I said they have a group that lives in downtown Alex that uses an old building that the state owns to play in, so there are no Laws against playing in your own backyard.

We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.

Gen. George Patton jr.
Paradise
Donor

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 10:33:50 PM »

Thanks for that bro. I appreciate it guys.
I'm revealed to know when I order my new AEG I won't have to deal with any silly laws.

Can't wait to see y'all on the field when I'm able. Smiley

KWA H&K USP Compact
Stark Arms Glock 19
G&G CM18 Mod-1
TM MP7

zombiehunter1
RAID

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »

No problem, Have fun with the new AEG when it comes in.

We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.

Gen. George Patton jr.
usafcajun
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »

Ok all you armchair lawyers......Unless you know for a FACT what the law is.....stay in your lane and do a little research.

A little research turned up a local Ordinance for Alexandria.....

Part 2, Chapter 15, Article VII, Section 15-103.

Sec. 15-103. - Air guns.

It shall be unlawful for any person to use, fire, shoot, or explode an "airgun" or "air rifle" or "blow gun."

http://library.municode.com/HTML/11767/level3/PTIICOOR_CH15CRCO_ARTVIIOFAFPUGE.html

RETIRED - U.S. Air Force, 21 yrs
--If you can see the big picture, you're not concentrating on your front sight post!
--I carry a gun because a police officer is too heavy.
Saber
Donor

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 06:32:38 PM »

Yeah, well that may only pertain to co2 powered or pump action bb/pellet gun and not soft air. I'd still talk to the PD and SO for clarification.

usafcajun
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 06:53:23 PM »

Unfortunately, a lot of municipalities use that gray area since they are airsoft guns that 'use air to propel' a bb.  Same thing as a BB/pellet gun unfortunately just the mechanics on how the projectile is expelled. Sad

Saber, I'd recommend talking to a District Attorney not the SO or PD.  They're the ones that can give a definitive Yes/No on it.  As a cop I just enforce it as written and try not to do my own interpretation of the law/ordinance.

RETIRED - U.S. Air Force, 21 yrs
--If you can see the big picture, you're not concentrating on your front sight post!
--I carry a gun because a police officer is too heavy.
Paradise
Donor

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 12:31:05 PM »

Well guys I just received a response from the Alexandria PD website, The 'Ask A Cop' email thing.
They simply stated "On Your Property."

So.. Yeah.
Have almost $700 worth of gear headed my way and I cannot wait to test this stuff out and then actually field it. Smiley

But thanks again guys, I'll take their word on this and if anything happens I'll simply state what I was told.

KWA H&K USP Compact
Stark Arms Glock 19
G&G CM18 Mod-1
TM MP7

Saber
Donor

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 02:25:47 PM »

Save that email and keep it handy.

Paradise
Donor

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »

Yeah that was the first thing I did.

KWA H&K USP Compact
Stark Arms Glock 19
G&G CM18 Mod-1
TM MP7

zombiehunter1
RAID

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 04:04:53 PM »

Yeah save that, APD has a habbit of forgetting saying stuff.

Gen. George Patton jr.
Pushedwall

Black Thunder Airsoft

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »

i'm not in metarie but i shoot all the time in my yard . i live next to a cop he doesn't say anything

Put some food in the life raft, for god sake man, do I have to think of everything. we'll tape his favorite shows, he won't miss anything.( Admiral Benson)
AntiStupid
SLM

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »

I didnít read all the replies BUT in all of LA it is illegal to shoot "air rifles" within a certain distance from a home, business, roadway, or waterway. So tech, if your airsoft gun is "air" then yeah, if itís AEG, nope.

FYI; the same rule applies to .22rifles, but its stipulations are such that not many areas in LA are legal for .22 use. When they add in "waterways" to any law in LA it pretty much includes backyards in areas below BR.

Paradise
Donor

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »

I didnít read all the replies BUT in all of LA it is illegal to shoot "air rifles" within a certain distance from a home, business, roadway, or waterway. So tech, if your airsoft gun is "air" then yeah, if itís AEG, nope.

FYI; the same rule applies to .22rifles, but its stipulations are such that not many areas in LA are legal for .22 use. When they add in "waterways" to any law in LA it pretty much includes backyards in areas below BR.

Yeah, I meant to say Soft Air / not to be confused with those .22 air rifles.

KWA H&K USP Compact
Stark Arms Glock 19
G&G CM18 Mod-1
TM MP7

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: